Pet Emergency.

1 Jun 2012

You know how a lot of people are so attached to their pets that they get overly emotionally when something or even nothing is wrong with them? Well, I became one of those people the other night, or should I say... Like my mother, who freaks out even if her dog is just coughing. I have always loved animals, and have gotten super attached to every one I own, but Roxy is different. Roxy is our 4 year old pug/chihuahua mix doggie, who we adopted from our sister in law a few months back, and she is like our daughter. Yes, yes I said it. Daughter.

Anyways, back to why exactly I was so overly emotional. So with living in our new apartment we aren't allowed to have Roxy here, at all, and every time I try to have her home with me someone from the apartment management comes by to either ask us questions, or move our beds (which only happened once), or just anything. Every time, no joke. Why don't I hide her from them? Well, I do. But she whines and whines when she gets locked in our bedroom to hide her, and they obviously can hear her. So, it doesn't work. But anyways, so to kind of bend the rules a little bit we let Roxy stay with our lead techs, who have a dog of their own, during the day, and we keep her at night.

So when Keagan came home the other night, and he brought back Roxy I noticed something was kind of off about her. He said that they told him that Roxy was super tired all day, and just slept on her bed, but she seemed fine. It's not unusual for Roxy to sleep all day, but not usually when she is with other people. But when she got home she wasn't licking me, she wasn't all excited, nothing like how she usually is. She was just trying to fall asleep. So I picked her up to look at her, and her right eye was completely swollen shut, and she wasn't supporting herself at all. She was just closing her eyes, and falling down. Then I start freaking out then. I was yelling at Keagan to look at her, that something was wrong, and that we have to take her to the Pet Emergency. I was freaking out! Finally, Keagan calms me down, and I just bundle her up in a blanket and just hold her. He gets on the phone with the Pet ER, and he starts talking to the Vet. The vet said that she might of gotten a scratch on her eye (since she does have big eyes), and that she is probably just nursing it by sleeping it off - but if she starts vomiting, seizing, or not breathing right to take her right in. He said that she probably got the scratch from playing with the other dog (who is a little bit bigger than her), or just by itching herself, and that she will heal.

Talk about a freak out session. I literally thought she was dying, and it made me so sad. Keagan and I said a prayer for her, and snuggled with her all night. That next morning when we woke up you could tell she was feeling a bit better. She could open her eye more, but you could tell she was still babying it. Now that it's been 2 days later, she can open it all the way, but she is stilling sleeping a lot, but no vomiting, or any of the other things. Which is such a blessing. I couldn't even imagine if we lost her. It would be so awful. I am just glad that Heavenly Father is protecting our little family.

No comments :

Post a Comment